How to start getting in shape
After no exercise for a long time!
Let us talk a little about how we can get back into shape. How many people have done this? How many people have let themselves go so long without exercise that they don’t know how to start? I have had to overcome this problem before and I would have liked a guide like I am going to provide for you.
How to start getting in shape after no exercise for a long time isn’t easy. If it was easy everyone would be doing it. It’s going to take dedication, hard work, giving up some of your favorite foods or drinks. NOT ALL AT ONCE though. Don’t be an over eager beaver as I like to call them. An over eager beaver in the gym is someone that that decides they are going to get in shape and they go gung ho over it. They say there going to wake up at 6 a.m. run 5 miles then go to the gym after work, workout for 2 hours. Then there going to only eat healthy foods and drink nothing but water. You get my point. If you tried to do that all at once you are setting yourself up for failure. Start with little goals.
Examples of 2 small goals you can set for yourself to help you start getting into shape!
- Walk for 10 minutes a day for a few days then up it to 15 minutes. Keep raising your goal and eventually you’ll be running five miles, and thinking How the HELL am I running five miles a day I remember when I couldn’t / didn’t want to walk five minutes a day.
- Replace one snack with a healthy snake that is full of protein and good nutrients. Replace one snack a week for as long as it takes to replace them all your snacks with healthy ones and eventually you’ll be snacking on nothing but foods that are good for you.
Examples of exercises to start with when you haven’t been exercising in a long time.
Start by doing 2 sets of 10 to 15 reps.
- This isn’t an exercise but it is very important and I feel I should mention this again set small obtainable goals. Don’t set unrealistic goals.
- Start by doing push-ups in your living room or at a gym. This is an example of using your own body weight to help get in shape.
- Next to sit ups again this can be done in your living room or in a gym.
- Finish it up with some Body weight squats. This is a great way to building your lower body and hit your core at the same time.
Where do I start once I get to the gym?
When you walk into the gym for the first time it could be a little overwhelming at first. You don’t know where to start to start getting in shape. An easy way to get started is to start with compound movements or total body workouts.
- Start with straight bar bell squats. This is the same thing you were doing before only now you are using a little weight. This will help build your lower body and your core
- Flat bench press. This is going to help build your pictorial muscles and your triceps and shoulders.
- You can also do everything you were doing above just at the gym now. Eventually, you will work your way up into doing more and more
Now at least you have a starting point. Now all you have to do is decided to start and start now. Have someone that will hold you accountable or you need to be extremely disciplined. Set little goals and once you reach them set another goal eventually you’re going to be 55 lbs lighter like me and wonder how it happened. It took me 5 months but I gained a lot of muscle too so I actually have lost a lot more than 55 lbs.
I feel great and so can you.
If you like what I have had to say and would like more information sign up for my Weekly Fitness News Letter by signing up to be part of my fitness team see you soon.
If you would rather workout from home here are some great online courses you can do right from your living room.
Great Online Classes
Yoga Burn I highly recommend a yoga or a pilates class even if you do decide to go to the gym instead. Yoga is a great thing to do as an active recovery day, and with an online class, you can do it from anywhere.
MI40 is another great workout class that you can do from almost anywhere. If you are on the go a lot this could be the perfect match for you. You will be able to do it from anywhere there is the internet